Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Am I ready to give birth?

I've been reading lots of pregnancy blogs, trying to prepare myself for Nic's Big Day. I've read a lot of books and Alex and I spent time watching some movies on the Internet about natural childbirths. We even rented "Orgasmic Birth" which was an amazing look at birth and everything that it can be if you are willing to really let yourself be in the experience. It also gave me a good look at hospital births and reiterated all the reasons I didn't want any medical assistance with the birth...I cried so hard during the scenes where the babies were callously pulled from the womb via C-section and forceps! It just seems terrible and so traumatic to me! I hope and pray that I have the mental, emotional, and physical strength to bring my little one into this world unassisted medically.
Well, I stumbled on this great blog this morning, "Pacing the Panic Room", written by a father! It was so great. He was telling the birth story of their new daughter and gave all the details that no one else gives you...All the blood that nobody tells you about and having to clean up the bathroom after his wife's first trip to the toilet. That's the stuff I want to know about. I don't want to think I'm going to die of blood loss after everyone has gone home for the evening and we're scrubbing the bathroom floors!!
Besides all the great information, he also has this great, heartfelt part about their first night together:
Cole and I laid in bed with Tessa in-between us and I texted friends and family, "It's a Girl" and we just watched her move, and her eyes dart around the room. And she was ours. Little parts of the both of us. Filled with the power to buckle knees and 100% magic. I remember laying there regretting every cigarette, and every night of drinking, and all the shitty food that has shortened my life, and I wanted to take it all back. We stayed awake till the sun was almost up, retelling the story to one another, and being amazed, and here she was. Tessa. She was a part of this family. She was here. Cole had done it. She had this baby exactly how she wanted to--the way she was told by her old Doctor she would never be able to do. Cole is just one of those people that can say she is going to do something, and then actually does all the work it takes to make it happen. She doesn't sit around and dream about the good life, she makes the good life, and I love her so much for giving me this experience, and for bringing this little girl into the world on her terms, her way, and for showing this old coward what real courage is.
You gotta love a guy that knows how to express his feelings!! But of course, he couldn't be too heartfelt because he is still a man, so he ended the post like this:
And then my wife got Double D's and we all lived happily ever after :)

HAHAHAHAHA! What a great blog!

2 comments:

5boystokiss said...

You Can! You can do it. You are such much wiser than I was with my first. It has taken me till the forth baby to realize the business that is behind Doctors in the delivery room. When I finally gave birth naturally in my own time- it was the most amazing thing I have ever done. He was turned and we still did it. You feel like an olympian when it is all said and done, and so in love with your new little precious baby.

Good luck with everything.

Leigh said...

You will be amazed by what you are capable of when the time comes for that baby to enter the world. Birth is such a transformative experience. I'm glad to hear that you are into natural birth, and I hope it works out for you to be at the Birth Center. I would highly recommend reading Your Best Birth (if you haven't already) and also Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. Best of luck, and thanks for reading my blog and stopping to say hello!