Recently I've been slacking on the wedding planning. We are at a bit of a stand-still until things like engagement photos and invitations get taken care of. So to fill up the time I've been learning Portuguese. Its been a priority of mine since meeting Alex so that I could communicate with his family, who all live in Brazil and speak Portuguese. I don't want to always rely on Alex having to be there to translate for me and I want to build meaningful relationships with my new family!
We decided to invest in The Rosetta Stone software and its really been a help! Their philosophy is that you should learn as if you were dropped into the middle of that culture with nobody speaking your native language around. You'd have to observe conversations all around you and figure out what they were talking about by the visual clues. Of course, me being me, I can't figure out what they mean by the clues...They had a slide with a Chinese women in full Kimono dress with the Portuguese word for women as the heading, and I was trying to figure out why they were teaching me the word for Chinese people!!! Let's just say that Alex has been a big help!! :) I don't know how people do it without a native speaker around to help them!
4 comments:
Very cool. Let me know how it all really works. Than and Dani are both very interested in learning a new language. I would love to see if they have Tony's native language so they could speak to their aunt and grandmother(since she didn't see the need to keep speaking to her own kids....ARG). Good luck!
Fala Portuguese? Oi' tudo bem! Something I tried was reading the scriptures, first in Portuguese and then in English, really focusing on the words, and praying for help. Good luck. I love how Portuguese sounds. As a side note, my kids and niece call it pork and cheese :)
It does seem odd that they would use a traditionally dress chinese woman to teach the word, why not a picture of a portugugese woman?? ODD!!
Muito Bem !!! Very Good !!!
Vocês são bebês tão lindos !
You are babies so cute !
Beijos
Kisses
Post a Comment